Transitioning to Clean Beauty Products


Clean Beauty

My interest in "clean" beauty products (makeup, skin care, hair care, etc.) sparked about two years ago when I stumbled upon the Think Dirty app. I can't tell you how much this app has simplified my transition to non-toxic beauty products nor can I express how badly I want everyone to download and start using this app - females and males alike!

Think Dirty makes it so easy to see the ingredients in your products and the ways in which they are harming your body. You can scan or search an item by name, view its rating (0-3 is clean and 7-10 is dirty whereas 4-6 is somewhere in between), look up its allergenic, carcinogenic, and reproductive harm scales, and then judge whether or not it's a product you wish to continue using. PLUS, it gives you recommendations for cleaner products in the same category. Best part? It's completely free.


I've also learned quite a bit from YouTubers, particularly Laura's Natural Life. I just signed up for her Beauty Boot Camp in which I receive daily e-mails (for free) including information and tips for slowly transitioning and making cleaner, more educated choices. You can also sign up by visiting her website!



Why Should I Care?

Laura’s Natural Beauty and Think Dirty state that the US bans only 10 toxic chemicals used in cosmetics whereas European countries ban over 1300! As for fragrances, none of those chemicals are monitored by the FDA. In fact, "fragrance" is just a general term which may consist of all sorts of unlisted chemicals. On top of that, our skin absorbs 64% of what we put on it. Common products you may be using every day (Cetaphil, Aveeno, Colgate or Crest toothpaste, or even your perfume) include known carcinogens and ingredients that cause reproductive harm. I find it quite ironic that in my molecular biology lab I'm required to wear gloves when working with known carcinogens, yet most of the beauty products that we put on our skin every. single. day. contain known carcinogens and harmful chemicals. That’s completely unacceptable and is why we need to educate and take care of our own-selves.

Before I get into the products I've transitioned to, I want to go over some of the most common, harmful ingredients found in virtually every "unclean" beauty product, and why they are harmful. Just a quick synopsis!

Parabens

Used in cosmetics to prevent bacterial growth but are deemed estrogen disruptors and are found in breast tumor tissue.

Pthalates

An "anticipated" human carcinogen found in building material, paints, and your beauty products. (Don't believe me? Read here)

Sulfates

Dry out hair and ruin hair color; some even linked to hair loss.

Fragrance

Rated a 9 on Think Dirty. A known hormone disruptor and many companies don't disclose whether it's made of synthetic or organic ingredients.

Products I've Transitioned To

My makeup routine is simple, so I don't have extensive products to share with you. I use mascara, blush, and a brow pencil on a daily basis so those were my most important products to transition. Below, I've added photos, Think Dirty ratings, and links to the products I use. 

Rejuva Minerals Mascara (found here)



Think Dirty Rating: 0


Rejuva Minerals Blush in Pink Parfait (found here)




Think Dirty Rating: 0


Zao Essence of Nature Eye/Brow Pencil in Dark Brown (found here)


Think Dirty Rating: 0

Other Products
Nubian Heritage African Black Soa(Rating: 0)
Acure Shampoo and Conditioner (Rating: 0)
Acure face scrub (Rating: 0)
Jason Power Smile Toothpaste (Fluoride and SLS-free) (Rating: 3)
Tom's Deodorant (OR organic lemon slices) (Rating: 3)
Organic, nonGMO coconut oil for face and body moisturizer, and hair oil
You must remember that the transition to clean products may come slow, especially if you are the type of person who uses a variety of products.

At the end of the day, though, it's up to you to take care of yourself. By no means am I saying throw away all of your beauty products and spend x hundred dollars buying yourself brand new ones (unless you can afford it). I'm just telling you to educate yourself and make your own decision as to which products in your skincare/hair-care/makeup routine you use most often, which ones you think should be traded out immediately, and which ones can wait.

What is just as awesome is that you can create many of your own bath products! Just do a quick Google or YouTube search and you'll have all the information you need at the ends of your fingertips. Anything from moisturizer to shampoo to mascara to blush! And the best part is most of these recipes include many of the same ingredients you can use over and over for various products. Plus, they include very few ingredients and, most importantly, you will know what you're putting on your body.

I truly hope you found this post informative and helpful!

Simply, 
Raza



0 comments:

Post a Comment