Highlights: The Grand Canyon, Arizona


Today I took my father to a follow-up consultation with his neurosurgeon. As we walked into the office, we noticed photographs half my size of locations all around the world displayed on every wall. While admiring a gorgeous photo of Italy's Positano and its colorful beach-homes overlooking the sea, the secretary informed us that all the photos displayed were taken by the physician himself.

A neurosurgeon and a travel photographer? That is how you live a life...

There was one in particular, though, that inspired this post and it was that of The Grand Canyon. The photo encompassed all that I felt as I looked out at The Grand Canyon almost three years ago. My brother and I took the trip when we were out visiting Las Vegas and decided to take a four hour drive to see this Natural Wonder.

One of my favorite quotes that resonated with this trip is actually by John McCain in which he says:


"I believe in evolution. But I also believe, when I hike the Grand Canyon and see it at sunset, that the hand of God is there also."


This is how I felt looking out at the never-ending rocky structures ahead of me. The Grand Canyon seemed almost like an illusion when I looked out far enough. It's difficult to describe the feeling, almost like when you look at at the endless ocean and wonder does it ever really end? or how is this even real?


Our visit was on a perfectly warm-yet-breezy June day. We woke bright and early for our road trip and, let me tell you, the four hour car ride was worth it. Breath-taking.


One thing that surprised me, though, was how close you were allowed to the edge. My friend and I let our feet dangle off, looking down into the canyon. At a moment like that, you feel complete peace and quiet. Feeling so small in such a vast space coerces you to realize there are things in this life much greater than you.


It is one thing to know our world is so impalpably boundless and it is another to actually see miles and miles of it stretch out in front of you. What a different experience than that of the East Coast, where your view can only stretch so far before it is halted by trees or buildings!


I'm so grateful to have seen this part of our beautiful, mysterious world. 

Have you ever been?

Other highlights:

San Diego & Coronado Island, California
Newport, Rhode Island
Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina
Tucepi, Croatia
Boston, Massachusetts

Simply, Raza


0 comments:

Post a Comment