Minimalist Bedroom


Embracing Minimalism in the Bedroom


Hi all!

Today I want to share with you one of my biggest minimalism projects of the year: my bedroom.

I believe one of the best places to begin simplifying your life is your bedroom.  It's where you rest and recharge and it shouldn't be cluttered with any excess stuff that will inhibit you from doing so. It's also the first thing you see when you wake up, so I think it's pretty important for it to be a reflection of the kind of life you want to live so that it will refocus your intentions for the rest of your day! 

My philosophy for the bedroom is that it shouldn't include any distractions (paperwork, TVs, cluttered walls or table/dresser-tops, nor should there be clothes and shoes scattered all over the floor). Everything should have a place, and everything should be in its place. 

My style is clean, simple, stylish, and comfortable.

I've been keeping up with blogs and Pinterest ideas for minimalist bedrooms.  Just a few months ago I moved into a new home which allowed me to "restart" and build a space for myself just the way I envisioned it.  I've done a lot of purging this year, and I've given away/donated/thrown out probably half of my possessions. Minimalism is an ongoing process.

Everything in my bedroom is what I own, plus what's inside my closet/car. The only thing I have yet to minimize are my books which are located in the guest bedroom, but I'll get to that in a different post!

I hope you that you find a bit of inspiration from my bedroom and the idea of minimalism. If you find yourself struggling to let go of the things that don't benefit you or bring you happiness, please repeat this to yourself:

"I am not my stuff; we are more than our possessions. Our memories are within us, not within our things. Holding on to stuff imprisons us; letting go is freeing."

Remember, minimalism is subjective. What is minimal for one person may not be true for another. And if that word doesn't resonate with you, use what does. Simplifying, perhaps? It's important to embrace simplicity at your own speed and comfort in order to find genuine happiness. Listen to yourself!

My Simple Bedroom




Simple artwork keeps a room from looking bland.


While my pillow collection isn't necessarily minimal, comfort is key and pillows provide just that for me.


Your walls should inspire you. I love these paintings because they add some movement to my room.


After getting rid of my shelves and dresser, I had no where to put my plant. I left it on the floor while trying to decide and I actually loved it! Simple! 


Mirror from HomeGoods
I'm not the biggest fan of colors, which many times is associated with the idea of minimalism. This doesn't have to be your minimalism but I tend to gravitate towards whites, grays, and silvers with TEXTURE! Minimalism can seem cold and boring to some people - but comfort is key for me and neat, simple designs are the perfect way to combat such an atmosphere.



The simplest but most important shot! Don't be afraid of blank walls. Embrace them. Or at least try it out. Not having too much going on really helps you clear your mind. If you don't like the blank walls, then add something you love; something that makes you happy to see when waking up!


Tahari quilt from HomeGoods

More texture! I opt for quilts instead of comforters, especially during the summer months. Your comforter doesn't have to be plain white. Look for interesting designs and comfort.


Brand: Urbanology from Ashley Homestore 
Arguably the most important aspect of your bedroom would be the bed. It's the centerpiece of the room so make sure to choose something light, bright, and versatile. I love tufted headboards and this particular one only adds more texture to my bedroom.  If I ever decided to change my room to a different style or color-scheme, this bed would easily fit anything I'd like.  I also love how large this headboard is because it takes up most of the wall and keeps my room from looking too "plain."



Don't be afraid to mix and match. These pillows are actually from separate comforter/quilt sets. I really love how different each one is, but how well they work with each other. 


DKNY sheets from HomeGoods
Again, mix and match! Your sheets don't have to be plain and white. Choose fun, yet simple, designs. One of my favorite things about bedrooms are the sheets on the bed. Be a little different -- it adds more personality to your home.



Your walls don't have to be white, but I would personally stay away from colors that are too distracting. Three of the four walls in my room are a color called "paper white," which are an off-white with a hint of light gray.  The wall with my headboard is a slightly darker gray, but still generally very light - you can barely notice the difference.



I opted for slightly gray walls so that the white features (moldings, ceiling fan, white sheets, etc) would pop out a little better and to have that slight contrast.



Having the main wall painted slightly darker gives more dimension and depth to the room. Plus, five dollar white string lights from Wal-Mart are always a good idea in any bedroom, especially for some coziness before sleep!


Here, you can tell the slight difference in wall colors.


I love white features!


My bedroom is very functional for me and I find myself feeling more relaxed and getting better sleep within it. Plus, it takes me just ten minutes to clean my room on the weekends. More time is the greatest benefit!

Do you have any tips for simplifying your bedroom?

Thanks for checking out my post and be on the lookout for more posts on embracing a more minimalist lifestyle!

Simply,
Raza



0 comments:

Post a Comment